Foreign Painting Collection
The Art Museum of Estonia’s Foreign Painting Collection includes over a thousand paintings from masters of Western Europe and Russia, dating from the 16th century to the first half of the 20th century. The most complete and valuable of these are the collections of Netherlandish and Russian paintings. There are also paintings from Germany, Italy, France, Austria, Switzerland and Finland.
There are more than 100 works in the collection of Netherlandish paintings. The best known artists are Jacob Jordaens, Leonhard Bramer, Maerten de Vos, Philips Wouverman and Barholomeus van der Helst. The very first paintings acquired not only by the Kadriorg Art Museum, but also by the Art Museum of Estonia as a whole (they arrived at the museum in 1919 and are assigned the numbers EKM VM 1 and EKM VM 2) are Seeing off the Bride and Presentation of Gifts from the workshop of Pieter Breughel the Younger. A valuable work is Christ Driving the Traders from the Temple, which is connected to the circles of Hieronymus Bosch and Pieter Bruegel the Elder.
The collection of Russian paintings is comprised of almost 470 paintings. The most brilliant examples from the collection are works by Dmitry Levitsky, Fyodor Rokotov, Vladimir Borovikovsky, Ivan Shishkin, Ilya Repin, Ivan Kramskoy, Konstantin Korovin, Boris Kustodiev and Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin. The portrait gallery of Russian rulers and courtiers is quite impressive. In addition, the collection includes more than 50 Russian Orthodox icons.
Italian painting is represented in the collection by Bernardo Strozzi, Francesco Trevisani, Tommaso Salini, Andrea Vaccaro and other primarily 17th-century artists. The most famous German and Austrian paintings in the collection are by Anton Graff and Angelica Kaufmann.