The Art Museum of Estonia celebrates its 90th anniversary
This year the Art Museum of Estonia celebrates its 90th jubilee. From November until the end of the year an economical package ticket is valid in the branches of the museum, and numerous jubilee events have been organised.
The Art Museum of Estonia has collected, preserved and developed Estonian visual culture for 90 years. The museum was founded on 17 November 1919, under the name Estonian Museum, with the aim of collecting national art and visual art. In the periods 1921–1927 and 1946–1991, the museum was housed in the Kadriorg Palace; in the interim periods it operated in temporary spaces and later in the Knighthood House on Toompea Hill. In 2006 the Kumu Art Museum was opened, and received the 2008 European Museum of the Year Award last year.
Today the collections of the Art Museum of Estonia are comprised of more than 58,000 pieces of art. In addition to permanent exhibitions, active exhibiting takes place in four branches: in the Kumu Art Museum and the Kadriorg Art Museum in Kadriorg, and in the Niguliste Museum and the Adamson-Eric Museum in the centre of town.
According to Sirje Helme, the Director-General of the Art Museum of Estonia, the active role that the museum plays in society and in cultural life is just as important as preserving the historical heritage: “The respectable museum with traditions is open to the future. The museum is an important and necessary part of modern society.”
The Art Museum of Estonia is happy to invite everyone on a walk of art through the ages.
On the occasion of the jubilee, the museum offers the 90 EEK package ticket, which is valid in all the branches of the museum from November to the end of the year.
In addition to various exhibitions, a number of exciting events for the whole family have been organised in the birthday month of November. The list of birthday events can be seen at www.ekm.ee.
Art Museum of Estonia
Phone +372 602 6001, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org