Kumu is the main building of the Art Museum of Estonia, as well as one of the largest and most monumental exhibition venues in the country. The museum provides a survey of the various time periods of Estonian art: from the Academic Style to Modernism, from Soviet Pop Art to contemporary art. The modern architecture of the building is an attraction in its own right.
The Kadriorg Art Museum is the only museum in Estonia dedicated to early European and Russian art. Interpreting the art of old masters is also the focus of its exhibitions and educational programmes. The museum is located in Kadriorg, in the Baroque palace built for the Russian tsar Peter the Great.
The Mikkel Museum in Kadriorg introduces private collections and the collecting of art in general. The bulk of the exhibition consists of the purchases of Johannes Mikkel; temporary exhibitions offer the visitor access to contemporary and historical private collections.
The Niguliste Museum, in the Old Town of Tallinn, is one of the few northern European museums located in a former church, where ecclesiastical art can be presented in its historical context. The museum houses the largest and most valuable ecclesiastical art collection in Estonia.
The permanent display at the Adamson-Eric Museum in Tallinn’s Old Town provides an overview of the oeuvre of one of the most versatile Estonian artists, Adamson-Eric (1902–1968). In addition, the museum organises two to three temporary exhibitions each year on various topics.
The artist Flo Kasearu enters into dialogue with the circumstances, looks at the changes in the operation of the museum and documents the new daily routine of its custodians.
The exhibition focusses on one of the largest private art collections in Estonia and on its owner, Mart Lepp.
The permanent exposition of the Kadriorg Art Museum presents the cream of the foreign art collection of the Art Museum of Estonia, which consists mostly of paintings, sculptures and applied art from Western Europe and Russia from the 16th to the 20th centuries.
After his deportation and imprisonment in Siberia from 1949 to 1957, Olev Subbi (1930–2013) returned to Estonia and resumed his art studies. During the 1960s–1980s his art was exceptional under the strict Soviet Estonian regime.
The core of the permanent exhibition of the museum is made up of European and Chinese ceramics and porcelain, and Western European paintings from the former collection of Johannes Mikkel.
The collection in the Niguliste Museum holds the most remarkable and valuable part of the medieval and early modern ecclesiastical art of Estonia. Most of the works of art in the Niguliste Museum’s collection originate from the church itself and have been displayed in their former locations.
The exhibition of the works of one of the most renowned Estonian avant-gardists, Ado Vabbe (1892–1961), focusses on the variegated stages of his creative career.
The museum is dedicated to Adamson-Eric (1902–1968), one of the most versatile creative personalities in Estonian art in the 20th century.
This exhibition represents one possible approach to the Estonian art of the second half of the 20th century, when it was characterised mainly by conflicts with and adaptations to the new political order established after World War II.
The rooms of permanent exhibition are filled with the early classics of Estonian art from the 18th century until the end of the Second World War.
Once a month on a Saturday morning from 10 am to 12 pm, the Kumu Art Museum adapts to the needs of people with sensory hypersensitivity and autism.
Drop-in guided tour in English at the permanent exhibition “Treasury”.
Season Opening Concert: Dalia Dėdinskaitė, Gleb Pyšniak and Ralf Taal
This two-part printmaking course will be held in Estonian but English translation is possible.
Make a new ceramic clock for switching to winter time!
The two-part course is suitable for both beginners and for advanced amateur painters.
Subscribe to our newsletter!